in his mephistophelean slink
toward some visceral glimmer
in this ‘failed state’,
pauses to pat
I n t o p l a c e.
he redeems his
brusque suit collars
with a residual slap
the silver fob watch
his granny gave him
before he l e f t to serve.
his precise shave chin
struts just a little more
as he grimaces his smile
against this humid hecatomb.
into his groin
a special issue
- vibrating like a clockwork bunny –
this next big
to the flag.
Extracted from china as kafka [Kilmog Press, Dunedin, Aotearoa-New Zealand
Reproduced by permission of the author.
Vaughan Rapatahana is a poet, philosopher, educator and now novelist. His writing has appeared in a variety of publications in Hong Kong and New Zealand. He also reviews for the Scoop Review of Books.
Vaughan's various publications include:
- Home Away Elsewhere [Proverse Hong Kong]
- English Language as Hydra [Multilingual Matters, U.K.] http://www.multilingual-matters.com/display.asp?K=9781847697509
- Schisms [Stonesthrow Poetry, Nevada, USA]
- She was No Good Anyway [Good Samaritan Press, Thailand]
- Toa - a novel [Atuanui Press, Auckland, Aotearoa-New Zealand]